Saturday, May 17, 2008

Operation Smile China

I was watching news of the earthquake in China the other morning at the gym.  As tears came to my eyes I could only think of one of the children I had taken care of this past Nov. 2007 on my Operation Smile mission to China.  The most beautiful older man held this baby girl.  I assumed that it was her grandfather.  When she came out of surgery with her lip fixed I held her and was surprised of how she looked at me as if she was looking for someone.  The older man came in to hold her and as he wept all he could do is thank us for what we had done.  A few hours later I found out someting that would fill my heart and bring tears to my eyes.  The beautiful little girl that I held was found in the trash by this most extrordinary man as he did his job poking through the trash looking for metal scraps.  He didn't pass up this gift even though it meant those in his village thinking he was crazy, the financial burden, and having to hide from the government for fear they would take her away from him.  He has a 10 year old son, and a wife with some dementia, and you could see what a blessings this little angel has brought to his life.  I will forever be changed and hope to be as selfless and courageous as him in my life.  I pray they are safe and still making each other smile!!!

6 comments:

Mom said...

I love this story, Tricia. Thanks for sharing.

The Hayes House said...

Tricia,
I wish I had these kind of memories that you have. Going to all of the places you have been, helping these kids and their families!! What a life changing opportunity!!! I pray they are ok as well!!

Liz said...

She's beautiful, what an incredible story!

Mary said...

I have always wanted to do an Op Smile, and now I know that I must!!! Thank you for sharing the great story!!

Jenny Hart Turk said...

What an amazing experience. I would love to go on a medical mission someday, hopefully sooner rather than later. You are such an awesome nurse tric!

The Breckons said...

Tricia - Thanks for touching my heart & bringing tears to my eyes! I have wondered about you since I moved away ... I'm glad I found you (thru Mary's blog). You look beautiful & HAPPY! Miss ya! Steph (think short & cane & you'll remember me :)